Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Round two... (The Saga Continues) Fight!


It’s 2011. Gone were the days when we were all scatter-brained or too much serious to our personal charges- family, studies, work, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends etc. However it may be, we all have our own stories to narrate. For my part, I have spent unencumbered silence to highlight the past year. Here's a personal review for 2010.

To begin with, the first and second trimester of 2010 was not so friendly to me. JANUARY has, for me, become a painful sanctuary or a repository of a dreadful December of 2009. That month, I decided to leave my job without any reserves on deck.  In short, I have become a full time husband and a father to my 1 year old kid instantly, and at the very same time, a full time student. Yet, daily tasks were fulfilling- I have mastered child rearing and earned a PhD in Husbandry at my own right. Besides, I even had the ample time to swot up my lessons in Law school except when my awesome kid is supercharged and won't let me do anything but to look after him. Nevertheless, this was the time of the year when I had all the glories to mesmerize the world to make all things worthy and perhaps put all things into places.

FEBRUARY was made to ease all the burdens in life, maybe. I was receiving offers from various target jobs; however, none of them was tenable enough to fit in my ideal kind of job- and that’s the gruelling part. Seven, all of them, I considered trash. Besides, I was enjoying my Husbandry and schooling at the same time at that. In other words, I succumbed from employment and rather jacked up my energy for family stuffs without of course, sacrificing my Law school.

Election period officially kicked- off in MARCH and I sensed gold and silvers knocking on my purse. I was offered left and right to do speechwriting jobs for politicians- oh and I loved the idea of accepted wisdom for someone’s mind, whose suppose to be the leader later on. Here comes jingle writing for campaign sorties too! I did about four or five jingles and all of them were a click. If only I record those by myself, I could have been ten times richer, at least for the month of March, alone.

Lenten season fall on APRIL and final exams in Law School came sooner than normal- this simply meant vacation after a gruelling mental torture. As always expected, daily tasks have become abnormal. I had to take doses of energy to cope up with my work and studies. I did not want to fail in school and at the same time lose my job. However, I have to loosen my grip from one of them. In other words, I fall short to one of my subjects. That was okay; anyway I was never in a hurry to finish Law school. Then came the sweetest part of the summer- a holiday escape in Aurora province. That was seven days of adventure and island hopping in the beautiful Pacific Ocean with my wife and one year old kid.

MAY God bless all the politicians who shelled out tons of gold to make sure they got their needed votes to get their coveted seats and achieve their personal interests. Excuse me, but almost all were into vote buying especially the week before the elections. They even had a second wave of doing the same a day before the 14th of May. Not being a numskull to say so, I too, had a taste of it. Now, if you ask where did the bread and rotten butter go? It drunk at least twenty stupid persons who later on lambasted my dirty kitchen with pukes all over the floor, besides, I did not want to let it pass through my throat, though.

The month of JUNE is a very peculiar period of the year to tell. For one, I was excited to enrol as a second year in my Llb course. Secondly, I had an interview for an item job which I felt would pass on my taste- only to find out later on that I had to go back to my previous job (sigh). I called that fate as if the same had played on me for six months and put my patience on a long term test. On the other hand, going back to school was exciting. Of course, I get to see my classmates again and let the competition begin (among them, as far as I am concerned) which am not a part of it. I can never compete because it’s a personal choice. Notably, I was justified by one of the professors who said later on: “Lahat naman kayo magiging abugado, ‘di nga lang sabay- sabay.” Evidently, the line sounded funny as most of the members of the class burst into laughter. However, they might have missed a point in their interpretation of the punch line which I can only tell perhaps two or three or maybe four years from now. Watch out for it.

JULY was a month of dissent or a season for the “envious hearted”, I must say. This is so, because I have become the subject of such when I was given the opportunity to take a subject whom the Dean in school thought that I would be able to cope up with. The sad part of it, the issue has become the talk of the class. However, I maintained my silence and kept my feelings. Instead, I have tried my finest edge to keep my relationship with the “brightest brains” in school. I have held in reserve that way though I knew that someone out there was dying to drop me off and put me in shame. I passed the subject though even if my card was marked with “W”- that won’t reflect in my transcript anyway and even if so, it’s not an impediment to take the Bar someday. I could have premeditated a sweet revenge to that person, only if he or she had surfaced. Since that was the case, I have cursed him/her rather to become an ugly chimp and will never pass the Bar. Nevertheless, I hope God had forgiven me for cursing a person.

Torrent rains came early in AUGUST. It’s one of my favourite times of the year where I would occasionally go back to my childhood days of literally bathing in the rain with splendid feelings. This is the time when I also have a special bonding with my American Pit Bulldog Maximus where we both walk together under the rain. Nothing more notable for this month, except the numerous annotations from international media and other communities on PNoy’s SONA (delivered in July) which was conveyed in Filipino. However it may be, I gave my five star rating though he was not my choice, personally.

There were two reasons to be happy in SEPTEMBER. First, it’s my birth month. It was my last day in the calendar and I was reminded of my friends who never marry after turning 31st. Anent, I was thankful enough that at the age of 31, I have a beautiful wife, an awesome kid, and a shelter I call home. Those are the possessions I call blessings or God sent maybe. Besides, I have had milestones at this age which I thought it was impossible. But just like Hova said to Zoc in the animated movie Ant Bully, the word impossible is not in the vocabulary of a wise man. In that case, I could have been unknowingly wise in my own right, I was not only aware. The second raison de etre was a surprise gift from a relative abroad. Two days after celebrating my birthday, I got my Windows 7 Intel Atom 2GB RAM authentic net book. Ah, what a gift for a good boy!

Cold breeze was felt in OCTOBER as the wind goes gusty and unforgiving. Final exams in Law school came near and cramming was felt, again. It’s high time to have quality time with red hardbound devils and the yellow mischievous sprite- textbooks, reviewers, and notes here and there. It’s another great tribulation, the third time to be exact. It made me smile though, ‘coz another semester will be over. The next thing happened: semestral break which meant booze and plenty of booze with the think tanks of Law school. At the other side of the fence, the 31st of this month was the official founding of Vinculum Juris (though it was crafted by the great minds in October 17th). Officially, the brotherhood was introduced on this month.

In NOVEMBER, Vinculum Juris became an energetic expression between me and my friends in school. Original members of the group signified the tenacity of the legal tie, which is thus likened to a tether of steel. For even the members of our families were made aware of the hood.  In a short span of time after the conception of the group, our creed was crafted as: “Once a person becomes a Vinculum Juris, he ceased to belong completely to himself.” Therefore, November was a milestone in pursuit of the legal profession for us who believed in strong relationships among students. I for one am hoping someday that the brotherhood will be embraced by the next generations of students who will have an interest in the legal pro.

Lastly, DECEMBER 2010 was another extraordinary month to remember. My kid celebrated his 2nd birthday and it was done according to my fervent wishes- to make kids happy and feel the love brought by Christmas. A simple merriment was held in our little home while a gift giving activity followed, though the two occasions was done on different venues. It felt good to share which I even wished that next year, I hope, my son would be able to join me for another gift giving so that when he grow old, he would realize that meagreness is not an impediment to make people smile.

Before I finish, 2011 will be another pound for pound challenger for me. Yet, I am prepared to launch another fight plan to overcome my opponent. Besides, I had all the grandeur any time of year, only when I keep my grip and never lose speed downhill.


I never succumbed from the blows of 2010... And you bet, I’m ready to throw another TKO.

GIVING. The author enjoys gift giving activity in celebration of his child's birthday. Lagangilang, Abra. 2010
LEX DISCIPULO. The author bashing his favorite book and idol former Supreme Court of the Philippines Chief Justice Cesar Bengzon. 2011







                                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment